Monday, March 14, 2011

Cognitive Dissonance Theory Part I Jan. 31st, 2009

Restroom Routes
(Pro-theory)
Cognitive Dissonance Theory
                There will be four posts on this subject; this first one will explain certain mental choices I make on a daily basis.  This entry will support the theory, but others will oppose it.  My third post; “Significant Other” Relations will give my support to the theory and why I think it works.  However, at the end of my fourth post will be the critique of my theory in opposition to it.  I have written these two mini-critiques because my notions and understanding change by the flip of a coin.
               
                On any given day; regardless of the geographical location I find myself in; I choose routes of travel that have available public restrooms.  This relates to the theory because new cities create cognitive dissonance for me until I can secure mental routes to accommodate me on my various travels.  I am a traveler by way of foot, bike, skateboard, bus, and car.  Each of those modes of transportation depends on my location at any given time.
                To better explain “Restroom Routes”, I have to give you the parameters of my logic.  Due to the high numbers of homeless and crime, public/ private businesses and/or buildings tend to make a choice about the people they allow to use their restrooms.  The choices are usually, “no public restrooms”, restrooms with a key, or no securing whatsoever; this all plays a part in my thinking.  Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why is this information being presented?” or “How does this relate to the theory?”  These would be valid questions.  The reasons are I drink a lot of coffee and/or alcohol on any given day.  I know I do not have an incontinence problem, but my bladder can only hold so much liquid.  Therefore, I have learned to never take a path/route without knowing the locations of public restrooms along the way to my destination.  This applies to all modes of transportation, such as the time between restrooms would only vary if I was in a car compared to on foot.
.. ..
                The cognitive dissonance theory applies to me when I am in a new city.  For example, when I arrived in Honolulu a few weeks ago, I was hesitant to journey far away from where I was staying.  I journeyed in all directions, venturing further and further taking mental notes of the locations of public restrooms.  You might ask at this point, “Where’s the dissonance?”
                The dissonance is created when I am forced to take a new path due to time constraints, alcohol intoxication, or my adventurous alter-ego; “Kalifornia Dave”, makes himself present.  These new paths have put me in positions to contemplate breaking the law by public indecency and/or public urination.  I will refrain from this type of behavior up until the point of urinating on myself due to the laws of society.  After the point of saturation of my bladder has been exceeded, I will then break the law.  At these times I am in a constant state of fear while releasing my bladder.  I will exhibit behaviors such as looking over my shoulders, removing my earphones to listen for intruders upon my self-made public restroom, walking while urinating to lower outside observers’ suspicions, etc.  This action is something I only do as a last resort.  This is the dissonance I create for myself.
                I will not refrain from drinking coffee and/or alcohol, therefore I choose “Restroom Routes.”  For example, I have found Beretania to be more “public restroom” friendly than King, or Wilder.  I live near Punahou and H1.  Along my daily route, I pass Kapio’lani Hospital, McDonald’s, Burger King, and The Queen’s Physicians Building, and then campus.  This route creates consonance for me.  I switch off at McDonald’s and Burger King, since they are across the street from each other.  I do not want to be told I cannot use their facilities.  This would increase my dissonance.  Also, their location is vital to my Beretania route.  If something negative were to happen to those facilities, I am unsure of an alternate route.  The final point about this is The Bus.  I will only use The Bus in emergencies.  I will spend the two dollars to get me to campus/home quicker if the saturation of the bladder has become apparent.
                To justify this blog, I drink at least three pots of coffee a day.  The alcohol is only when I have nothing due or my schedule is clear the following morning.  I know I could drink less coffee; I have tried; but I have troubles sleeping.  I have had these issues for years.  I awake at five A.M. regardless of when I go to bed.  I usually cannot go to sleep until at least one A.M.  This is better than it used to be; trust me!  Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment