Monday, March 14, 2011

Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Mar. 17th, 2009

I had to go and get my second MMR2 dose today.  It seems Hawai'i law requires that all students (regardless of grade level) to have both of them done.  The first one was done in 1977.  Obviously I am immune, but some congresswoman died a few years back in Hawai'i from measles, and so the law was changed to include all students, even college.
The shot is not the issue, but the process is what I want to discuss.  I found a doctor's office through my school.  The price on the sheet was a set amount for the shot.  I went to the office last week and was given an appointment for today.  Upon arriving everything was fine.  After seeing the doctor, and getting the shot.  I was told the amount I owed was far higher than I was originally told last week or what was on the flyer from school.  I freaked out.  Given my current stress levels from the past two weeks, all the school work I have to do, and my financial situation from January to present; I just lost it.
Of course, my usual anger is calm and collected on the outside.  I am pretty coherent and intelligent when I become mad.  So I spewed the details of the situation and how I perceived it.  The receptionist sat there in the crowded waiting room without really acknowledging what I was saying to her.  When it was all said and done, I am out the money.  I made it a point to criticize our health care system and our insurance policy.  It is all a scam between the government and the insurance companies.  Especially in these times of economic woes, how do you increase medical care when so many people are out of work.  Now there was a sliding scale for low-income patients, but I do not meet those requirements because I am a student.  Being a student is a profession as I have said in the past.  Although some of my family have said this is not true; how is it then that medical and credit companies allow you to be classified as one.  Then allow for you to be charged as if you were employed?  This is the basis I stand by that students are considered employed.  Even if it is self-employment; and if it is self-employment, then shouldn't I be able to purchase some self-employment insurance?
Anyway, the point of the story is I was strung along over 2 months by my school and the doctor office.  I was told I would only have to pay a certain amount, but that amount was doubled after I received treatment.  I would have been less angry if I had been told of the increase pre-treatment.  I feel like I got shafted because the information was limited.  This is the problem.
Just another day in the life.  The upside is I don't have to worry about measles, mumps, or rubella...If that is an upside!
Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment