Monday, March 14, 2011

Locked Up! Sept. 11th, 2008

Tell the kids I will be home soon.
Give them the love I never could give.
Show them how to be men and live righteously.
Explain the ins and outs of the world.
Live by example not by words.
A day will come when I can do my job.
One day in the near future I will be home.
A long trip on the road of hell is almost over.
The time apart from those I love has been great.
Only holding onto the memories to keep me afloat.
Warden says, "You will be home soon enough."
Lies, for years, they were lies!
Now it seems those lies hold some truth.
A long journey, lots of letters and misery.
Watching men kill other men.
Wondering where my fate lies.
Will it be a sudden death, or a slow and painful one.
Always wondering if someone put a shank in my cell.
Always wondering if I am being set up for another fall.
The kids at home couldn't handle another blow like that.
Tell them, soon enough I will be standing before them.
In all reality, I missed them growing up.
Can I even say I am their dad.
Or is it more like father.
Trapped in an eight by ten cell thinking, just thinking.
The thoughts come with such a fervor at times, feel like suicide.
Cannot control emotions in an environment where emotions get you killed.
All those fights I had when I needed to maintain respect.
Those other cons I destroyed mentally and physically.
Where are they now.
Are they still seeking revenge.
"It's time to go" the guard says from the door.
As I stand here ready for my release.
Tell the kids I will be home soon.
A sharp pain in my back permeates my soul.
I feel the jolt of the cold hard concrete hitting my face.
Looking at the feet of another con.
Feeling the blood drain from a hole in my back.
Tell the kids I will be home soon.
Just not the way we had assumed it would be.
Tell the kids to stay strong.
I am coming home, I am going home.
The cold concrete is replaced by a darkness and I am no more.
Tell the kids I am coming home!

No comments:

Post a Comment