Monday, March 14, 2011

Just another incident Dec. 16th, 2008

Another incident happened yesterday that forced me to use my communication and writing skills.  Of course the incident in question was just another negative one that I seem to find myself involved in.  This is not news to any of you I am sure.  Let me give the back story, then the current situation.

The Back Story:
Being the great brother that I am, I had checked out two books for my sister Andrea for two of her classes earlier in the semester.  I figured I could help her out by finding earlier editions of the books she needed rather than paying hundreds of dollars on new books.  So we set out in September to find the books.  The two books were found at Elmhurst College, and U.I.C.  We went and picked them up and I continued to renew them for her throughout the Fall semester. The final due date was Dec. 15th and I was unable to check them out past that date.  Yesterday was Dec. 15th and I went to Northeastern IL Univ. to return them.

I walked into the library to drop them off.  I walked to the front desk and a girl greets me.  I tell her that the books are from other universities.  She tells me the woman that checks them in has gone home for the day.  I asked if that would affect the due dates.  She was unsure, and told me if it did the fines would be minimal.  Minimal being $.20.  Well this is unacceptable since I was returning them on the date they were due.  I should not be charged for the books since I returned them on the correct date regardless if the woman who checks them in went home for the day.  The time was 3:30 PM, therefore the woman in question should still have been there.  I don't care if she went home early, or had a half day, or whatever the reason is, the bottom line is I did my part in the ordeal.

Then, the girl says they are not responsible if the books are lost in the transfer process to the respected Universities who own the books.  I said that I should not be responsible for lost books since they are no longer in my possession.  She tried to tell me that the books rarely get lost in transfer, but still I should not be responsible for them either way.  That is not the policy though, even though this was not the issue that arose.

Another gentleman behind the counter got involved and tried to tell me it wasn't their responsibility.  I argued with him for a while, until finally I said if I am charged I will return to speak to a supervisor and heads will roll.  He said, "Don't do anything rash."

I replied, "I am not going to do anything rash, and what I do decide to do will only be at this desk."

He said, "Well we could always call public safety if there is a problem."

I said, "Why would you call public safety over $.20.  That makes no sense to involve the police in a matter that seems to be your policy.  What do the police have to do with returned books?"

I begin to walk out and let the situation end.  This did not happen though.  Instead, he says, "Well, we could always have Public Safety waiting for you tomorrow."

That stopped me at the front door.  I heard him correctly.  To threaten me with police was/is the wrong thing for him to do.  I turned around and approached the desk.  I asked, "Are you threatening me?"

Another gentleman approached me and said, "He wasn't threatening you."
He was trying to calm the situation after hearing what had just happened.

I said, "He was threatening me.  What is his name?"

The guy says, "Jeff."

"What is his last name?"

"I don't have to give you his last name."

"What is your supervisor's name?"

"Ronald."

"Ronald what?"

"I don't have to give you that information."

"Well, that is fine, I will just take this up with the administration.  I have been a student here for a while, and I do know how the system works."

I then walked over to the University's President's office.  I explained the situation and then was sent to the Provost's office.  I was able to secure an e-mail address of the Dean of the Library.  I then sat down (wasted 40 minutes) writing a nasty letter expressing my disgust with the situation.  I will copy and paste the letter now...

B. Baker
Dean of Library
(E-Mail deleted)

Good afternoon Mr. Baker,

My name is Kenneth Kirschnick.  I am a recent NEIU graduate with two degrees and Magna Cum Laude recognition.  It is a shame that I have to sit down and write this e-mail due to the treatment I received from your front desk staff.  The incident in question happened at 3:45 PM today on the first floor of the library.  I was returning two books that I had borrowed from other universities through I-Share.  Their due date was December 15th.

I was informed that the person to remove them from my file has gone home for the day.  I inquired about possible fees associated with the books being checked in tomorrow, even though I am dropping them off today on the due date.  They told me to check my account tomorrow, and if fees are owed I can return to pay them.  Now, that in itself is wrong since I am returning them on their due date.  This is not the real issue associated with me writing this letter to you though.  The problem occurred after I had asked numerous questions about the process.  I had stated that if I had to return tomorrow to pay fines I would definitely be talking to a supervisor.  One of the gentleman behind the counter named Jeff (refused to give last name) told me, "Do not do anything rash."

I replied, "I will not do anything rash, and whatever I do to resolve the issue will be done at this desk."
He replied, "We can always call public safety.  Actually we can have them here before you arrive!"

Mr. Baker, this is a threat from your staff towards me.  You can internalize this comment however you see fit, but it is a threat nonetheless.  Public Safety being summoned over a possible $.20 in fines is absolutely neurotic.  I mean I was not swearing, or being belligerent.  I am merely a new member of the alumni of this great school that was returning due books.  It is unacceptable for your staff to threaten me with the police.  I immediately turned around and went to the desk to ask if I was being threatened.  Jeff did not answer me, but another staff member did.  I asked for the supervisor's name and the name of the person who had spoken to me originally.  I was only given first names, Jeff being the name of the staff member that had made the threat.  And Ronald being the supervisor name for me to contact.  I told them I would then proceed to the Administration offices and settle the dispute there.

I walked to President Hahs' office, and was told to take my issue to the Provost.  The staff at Academic Affairs gave me your e-mail address.  This matter should not be overlooked and I expect a response from you.  I understand you will have to research the situation, but I do expect a response in the meantime.  I am a Communications graduate that is going to Hawai'i Pacific University in three weeks for Graduate School in Communications.  I would only hope that this matter is not a blight on the two wonderful years I had at NEIU.

Thank you for your time,
Kenneth Kirschnick  Author of Jails, Institutions, and Death


  (E-mail deleted)
Please do not overlook this matter because I will not rest until I receive an apology of some sort.  You and your staff should promote better customer service and communicative skills since your library is in the public sector of the University.


Then the response came to me this morning...

Good morning Mr. Kirschnick,

I was very sorry to learn of the problem you had in dealing with staff in the Library Circulation area yesterday.  Please accept my sincere apology for the manner in which you were treated by Library staff.  Please also let me assure you we do take such complaints very seriously and that this is not an accepted or acceptable level of customer service.  I discussed the incident immediately this morning with Debbie Stevenson, who is supervisor of the Circulation area, and with her boss, Carlos Melian, Associate University Librarian for Systems, Technical and Access Services.   I do know that Ms. Stevenson has met with the staff members involved and I have asked her to call you personally regarding the incident as well.  You should be hearing from her soon.  Again, please accept my apology along with my assurance that we will be taking additional steps to improve the customer service provided by some staff members.



Bradley F. Baker

Dean of Libraries and Learning Resources

Northeastern Illinois University

5500 N. St. Louis Ave.

Chicago, IL  60625
(E-mail and other info deleted)

I just received the phone call from the lady while I was writing this blog.  She told me they post-dated my account so I would not be charged.  She also just told me a few minutes ago that the staff were familiar with this procedure yesterday.  I knew the employees had a way of solving the problem yesterday.  That was why I was so persistent.  The situation escalated to the point that threats were made against me.  I was and am the wrong person to mess with.  I know how to write excellent letters, and get results.  I received my apologies, and now the situation is over.

Some people just do not know me, and the advice I have to give is never underestimate your opponents in any situation.  So another incident resolved...When is the world I walk in going to realize I will never take anything sitting down or with grains of salt.  Do NOT mess with me if you like your job!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment