Monday, March 14, 2011

Places to eat, good bars, and more dead friends Mar. 30th, 2009

I was going to write out places to eat that are cheap and good in Hawai'i for future reference.  First let me say, R.I.P. John Yost and Tim Marino.  Two more have fallen to that devilish woman called Miss White.
Now for the restaurants.  Due Divinos Italian Ristorante on Ena Rd. between Kalakaua and Ala Moana Blvd. in Waikiki serves $5 slices of pizza.  These slices are gigantic.  I would suggest the Meat Amore slice.  It is packed with meats and is utterly awesome if you are a carnivore.  Plus it is BYOB at this place with an ABC Store down the block if you choose to have a nice beverage with your meal.  They do serve wine though.
Pizza Hut on Beretania/Piikoi has All you can eat buffets from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM M-F, and Dinner from 5:30-8:30 for $12.
Diegos Taco Shop on King St. (approx. 2000 S. King) right before Univ. of Hawaii campus has a torta with 2 crispy tacos and a drink for $9.  Good deal, lots of food, even if you split it with someone if you are dieting it is good.
Perry's Smorgy Restaurant on Kuhio in Waikiki by the King's Court has 11.95 all you can eat dinners. 
Also, on Kuhio 1 block south of Seaside is a little restaurant on the North (mountain) side of the street.  They have cheap breakfast at 3.95 for eggs, meat, and pancakes.  And they have a sunset dinner for 12.95 with 2 choices, i.e. lobster tail and steak, or many other combos.
Then there is  Waimalea Coffee Shop on Ala Moana Blvd. and Ena Road (near Divinos) with 5.75 pancakes, 2 eggs, and 2 bacon strips (all you can eat pancakes is included in the package.)  They are open 24 hours.

Bars:  Kelly O'Neils on Lewers St. in Waikiki is the best place for Irish music and rock and roll.  Live bands every night, with NO cover.  Plus you can smoke in the three Irish pubs (at your own risk) in Honolulu.  O'Neils, Irish Rose Saloon, and O'Tooles (downtown) are the three Irish pubs.
Red Lion in Waikiki and UH have $1 drinks on Thursdays, and .75 drafts and $3 pitchers on Monday.  Most hip hop at Waikiki, and Reggae on Sat. at UH.  Red Lion is on Kalakaua in Waikiki and off University (near Varsity Bar) at Univ. of Hawaii campus.
Moose McGillicuddy's on Lewers (across the street from O'Neils) is the place for hip hop and dance music.  Tuesday nights are $1 drink nights.
For Trance music go to Bar 39 on Hotel St. Downtown Honolulu.  But if you are a woman don't go alone because the neighborhood is rough late at night.  It is the beginning of China town and there was shooting the other night a block away from this place.
O'Tooles is on Nuuanu in downtown Honolulu (same rules for Bar 39 apply; if you are a female, do not walk home alone at night.)
Indigos on Nuuanu in Downtown Honolulu has happy hour from 4 PM-8 PM every day during the week with free food.  Martinis are $4.  This is a good place to go if you are a business person or are networking business people.  Two of my professors hang out here.
Punk music?  Go to Mercury's off Fort Street a block south (ocean) of Beretania.  This is the only punk bar I have found so far.  It is sometimes happening and sometimes not.  The bartender with the sacred heart on her arm is part of the God Squad, so don't piss her off; I have already done that!
So far these are my recommendations.
Do not go to Chili's on Kuhio; as I went there last night, and the food was served cold.  We complained, got new food, and it still sucked.  So I talked to the manager and received the entire meal free.  Not to mention free gift certificates.  I am still being the squeaky wheel, and it is still paying off!  I cracked my molar last night.  Now I am in serious pain, and I don't know what the hell I am going to do; paying for the dental work at this point is going to break me!
So there you all have it.  I hope you enjoy yourselves if you ever make it out here.  I will try to post some more as it becomes apparent.  But this has been my 3 month routine so far, so I don't think too many more places will be added!

No comments:

Post a Comment