Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mayhem and good times.

This past weekend has been quite a blur.  Actually, since I landed from Hawaii, I have found it rather exciting to be out and about.  The problem is the chaos is still following me.  I just have bad luck.  I was the designated driver on Saturday night, and I got my car towed at closing time because it was parked in a snow route.  Everyone I was supposed to drive home ended up in a cab.  It sort of defeated the purpose of having a sober person be DD.  If I could see the future, I would have just drank my ass off.  On Sunday, I had to call my mother, since it was her car, and get my buddy Paul to pick me up to go to the impound lot at Sacramento and Chicago.  It cost me 160 bucks to get the car back.  My mother was not happy, nor am I for that matter because of the circumstances of the night.  Originally, I had a good day, and then went to meet my old roommates Jason and Mario at Cobra Lounge for punk night.  It was a good time, even though Jason was wasted.  I guess he gave up his sobriety.  He used to be sober for almost 10 years I think, or close to it.  His life has taken a downward spiral because he recently got a DUI, and his car broke down.  It is a rather odd situation, and I was surprised to hear the details of his current lifestyle choice.  After leaving there, I drove my buddy Johnny and his roommate to Flatiron on Milwaukee near Damen.  That is where the car was towed from.  I should have just told them I would drop them off and be on my merry way, but the night was still on-going, so I stuck it out.  It cost me the money, but I have bad luck.
The craziness didn't end there though.  Last night I went out to my local watering hole while I was doing some reflecting on the weekend events.  I ended up at Gladstone.  While sitting there, an off-duty Chicago cop, named Kevin, began to talk to me.  When I told him I just got back from Hawaii, the fuse was lit.  It turns out he was in Afghanistan, and spent some time in Hawaii before being deployed.  He also was there recently to purchase some property.  Anyway, he kept badgering me for information.  Every question about a specific place, I would say, nope, never been there.  I mean I spent most of my time in Waikiki and Honolulu, while all the places he remembers are North Shore or Kaneohe side.  He was also pretty drunk doing shots of tequila with every beer.  He ended up talking me into going to another bar with him.  This was a bad idea.  I knew I had my job interview today at noon, which I made and I will get to that later in this blog.  So we ended up at another bar on Addison and Oak Park.  Originally I told him I didn't want to go with him because of the job interview and he was drunk, which meant I would probably be walking home in this cold ass weather.  He told me he would drive me back and buy the drinks.  He wanted a wing-man for some Russian women at this other bar. 
Driving to the other bar was a bit crazy.  He was doing like 80 mph on the city streets, I guess it helps when you got a badge in your pocket.  Some other cops showed up at the bar that were on-duty, but they were just visiting the bartender, which happened to be one of the Russian women.  It was very weird for me to be out drinking with cops.  I mean I have played poker with them, my ex-wife's father is a retired CPD officer, etc.  Well, this guy got more and more drunk.  I went outside to smoke a cigarette, and this fucker tried to skip out the other door.  I went up to him and was like, What the fuck dude?  You trying to bounce out on me.  I gave him the third degree, and told him to let me drive.  I wasn't that buzzed, having had only 2 beers and 2 shots over the course of four hours.
I started to drive myself back towards my neighborhood, but Kevin.wanted to stop at another bar on Montrose.  When we get in there, we ordered some drinks, but it turns out Kevin had no cash, and his account was overdrawn or whatever.  Anyway, he wanted to leave after ordering the drinks because he couldn't pay for them.  He tried the back door exit by the bathroom, yet again.  This fucker was really pissing me off at that point.  So I told the bartender I would be back to cover the drinks, and the promises this cop made never came true.  He kept yelling oorah the entire night, but obviously that was just a facade, because he turned out to be a liar.  He lived up to my perception of most cops that I knew from my youth days.  He was a total fucking drunk, that made himself live in some alternate universe.  Anyway, he tried to ditch me again, and told him to go fuck himself.  He drove home really drunk, and I wouldn't be surprised if he hit something on the way.  I offered to give him a ride home, and then I would just hike it home.  Even though he pissed me off, I still don't wish any ill will towards anyone's safety.
Anyway, I let him ride off and I hiked it home.  I stopped over and seen Christian on my way home, which was a nice little lay over.  I made it home.  I crashed, and had my interview on time at noon today.  It was for Carnival Cruise lines.  The job seems promising and I have another interview on April 10th.  It will be a six month contract if I do take the job.  Anyway, the night was fucked up, and I still came through unscathed.  I usually am the guy who makes the bad decisions, but lately, in Chicago, I have been realizing the chaos that others bring to my world.  I am not blameless here since I had a choice to go to the 2nd bar, but at least alls well that ends well. 
I will re-write this story for my auto-biography.  Well, that is my short story.  The major players were Kevin the cop, Mean Gene the 68 year old drunk, Gina the bartender, and at the second bar, Agnes the bartender from Russia, and at the third bar, Mary the bartender, whom I still owe 5 bucks for the drinks Kevin ordered and didn't pay for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment