Monday, March 14, 2011

The family pet Nov. 24th, 2008

Another animal has gone onto that backyard in the sky.  The family dog was laid down last night, and the household is quiet and cold.  Everyone is very somber.  Misty was 14 years old, she was my goto when I needed company while smoking outside.  She was always at the door to greet you.  She had breathing troubles last night and she was put to sleep shortly after. 

I took her outside yesterday, and she rolled over and let me scratch her belly for a while.  The funny thing about her is once you started petting her stomach, she wouldn't let you stop.  She would make sounds like she was trying to talk to you and roll on her back and move her front paw as a horse would stomp.  I remember rubbing her belly, finishing my cigarette.  She went down the steps of the deck to the backyard.  About a half hour later I went to let her in, and she wouldn't come.  My dad came home a little after that, and said she was having trouble breathing.  An hour or so later she was gone! 

I guess I was the last one to have any time with her without her breathing issue.  I mean I am sure my mom and dad scratched her belly at the pet E.R. but that is the memory I will carry with me.  It will be filed with the other memories of animals long gone in my brain.  There are many, and this whole year has been a bad one almost all the way around.  Besides me graduating with honors, there have been a lot of negatives.  I got married, then separated, then moved, then there was the cats, trying to get my license back, one of my grandfathers and one of my great grandmothers died within the last 4 weeks, and now the dog.  What are you thankful for this holiday season of 2008? 

Well, I am thankful for my health, and those around me that are family and friends.  I am thankful that life has a tendency to deal you bad things, but also gives you the opportunity to overcome and do great things in the face of adversity.

Well, R.I.P. George Keske, Granny Marie, Misty, Tinks, and anybody else that I knew but have yet to hear about.  Tis Life!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment